If you still transcribe your paper form manually to a database, this article will help you automate data transcription.
The problem faced by many companies that perform field surveys is that at the end of the day, after spending hours collecting data in the field, technicians have to manually transcribe all the data they took from paper forms to the database.
The result is:
- A waste of time
- A money loss
- Transcription errors
- A lost of data
- Deadlines for retrieving data from all surveyors
How does the ‘Coral Collect‘ data collector solve this problem?
Coral Collect is a mobile application that allows you to fill out digital forms directly in the field from a tablet or cell phone.
Once the form is completed, the field staff sends the collected data automatically to the database.
I present here the 5 steps to automate data transcription to a database:
Step 1: Create an account on the Coral Collect data collector (it’s free)
Step 2: Create a digital form
Now is the time to turn your good old paper form into a digital one.
To do this:
- Go to the forms tab
- Click on the + button at the top right
- Give a name to your form
- Drag the different fields available on the right that interest you and drop them in the gray box on the left
- Edit the fields you placed in the gray box to match the elements of your paper form.
For help with this, please watch this tutorial
When your form is created, please save it by clicking on the top right.
Step 3: Download the Coral Collect app to your device
Step 4: Fill out your forms directly from your tablet or mobile phone
You can now complete your form from your phone or tablet.
- Open the app
- Choose the automatically created project “my first project”
- Press the + button at the bottom right
- Select your form
- Fill in your data
- Save your form
- Sync your data with the sync button in the top left menu.
Step 5: Download your data in the desired format
Your data is already stored in a cloud database. If you want to export it to another database, you need to follow the following instructions:
- Log into the Coral Collect dashboard
- Go to the project tab
- Select the project “my first project”
- Click on the export button at the top right
- Click on ‘data’
- Choose the desired format
- Click on ‘export’.
Your data collection process is now automated and your issue is resolved!