When you send teams into the field to collect data, it’s important to trace a course to increase their efficiency while working. This way, teams won’t waste time orientating themselves during field work and can fully concentrate on their data collection tasks.
There are a number of data collection apps out there, some good and others not so good, but not all of them feature course tracing functionality like Coral Collect. In this article we will show you how to use the Coral Collect data collection app to plot a data collection course for your teams in the field.
Some of the Coral Collect app’s features
- Can be used to fill out digital forms during data collection work in the field
- Can geolocate data collected by means of the app’s integrated GPS functionality
- The app also integrates a cartographic interface, which is necessary to find one’s way in the field
- Can be used to import external data layers and display them on the app’s integrated map interface
- The Coral Collect app also features the GeoJson.io tool, by means of which you can plot the itinerary of each of your teams on a map
How to get Coral Collect
1. Create an account on the Coral Collect website
If you haven’t already, the first step is simply to head over to the Coral Collect website and create an account: https://coral.chaac.tech/
2. Plot your route
Plotting your route is simple and can be achieved by simply following these steps:
- Go to “Geojson.io”
- Select the “line” button
- Draw a line on the map which represents the route of your field team
- Save the route in GeoJSON format
3. Import and view your routes in the Coral Collect app
In the Coral Collect dashboard, follow these steps:
- Click on “Data layer”
- Import the data layer you just created
Open the Coral Collect app, and follow these steps:
- Press the red menu button
- In the menu, click on data layer
- Click on the ‘cloud’ button next to your data layer
- Choose the color of your route
- Check the box next to your data layer
If you return to the map, your route will appear. By following these steps, you can create as many routes as you want and assign a different route to each of your teams.
For more questions about route plotting, or any of the Coral Collect app’s other features, feel free to make an appointment with the Coral Collect team at any time.
You can also check out the Coral Collect intro video.